The only reason I made this is because this is an issue true and dear to my heart. I didn’t come from a family of money or big opportunity. I had no connections, the wrong credentials and no experience. All I had was a big dream and a lot of dedication. And no, I had no help from my parents or anyone else for that matter, haven’t borrowed a dime from them in 7 years. What I have is because I worked my ass off for it.
Want to be successful too? Here are 10 commandments to dream realization!
1) Realize that you wont be in your dream job tomorrow. It might take a long time. I swear if I hear another 23 year old kid whining that they have no future and their opportunity is over, I might physically explode.
2) Those who wait are fucking idiots. If you want something, go for it.
3) I don’t care how shitty you think your art is. When you present your work to people, you better walk around like you have the biggest dick in the world. Most people can’t tell good art from bad art. If you show off your work like you are the god of your craft you can land any job.
4) Know that companies want experience. So save up to do an internship. I promise, 99% of art internships wont pay you squat. If you’re lucky they might pay transportation costs. Internships will open a tidal wave of opportunity.
5) Be prepared to take some criticism (Thank god I didn’t go to art school), and be prepared to do shit you don’t want to do.
6) Know that your first, probably even second job will pay you peanuts. Either take on a second job or do commissions.
7) Cut costs. Use public transportation. Don’t eat out. Steal your neighbors wifi. Prioritize spending.
8) Be ready and willing to give up years of your life. Seriously. If you’re not willing to sacrifice everything, then your dream are not that important to you.
9) Don’t EVER make excuses. Always know that everything you do brings your one step closer to your dream.
10) Don’t ever settle. You’re worth shining among the stars. Don’t ever think you can’t make it. Being in the business, I can assure you I’ve met plenty of artist that are shitty and somehow got well paying jobs.
Thanks to artbymoga for bringing this important issue to light. Dreams aren’t just fairy tales. There are other people living them out right now as your read this.
This is beautiful and inspirational and… I just can’t even… Thank you for making this! It inspired me